Lakewood Animal Hospital4882 Portal DrTallahassee, FL 32303
Hurricane Safety and Pets
Before the storm, prepare a hurricane kit of your pets to include:
- Secure pet carriers for cats and small dogs and sturdy 6ft or less leashes/harnesses for larger dogs and appropriate crates for other types of pets.
- Place medications and medical records, including proof of current vaccinations, in a waterproof container,
- Have a 2 week supply of any medication your pet may be taking on a regular basis and familiar food and water. Also take bowls and a manual can opener.
- Cat litter/pan, extra litter, litter scooper and bags for waste.
- Information sheets including: medical conditions, treatment schedules and feeding instruction, name and phone number of your veterinarian or a kennel outside your area in case you need to board your pets.
- Current photos of your pet(s) in case they get lost. Also, be sure each of your animals have name tags, rabies tags, microchip, etc., securely fastened to their collars. IMPORTANT NOTE: When planning to evacuate, attach the phone number and address of your temporary shelter or of a friend/relative outside the affected area to the back of your pet's ID tag.
- Take a picture of you WITH your pet.
- Portable pet beds, a familiar blanket, and lots of toys.
- Plan ahead to have a safe place to take your pets because public shelters, like the ones operated by the Red Cross, do NOT allow family pets. Service dogs are an exception.
Planning ahead is the best way to protect you and your pets!